post graduate work permit



­International students may obtain an open work permit, with no restriction on the type of employment and no requirement for a job offer. ­ ­In addition, the duration of the work permit has been extended to three years across the country. ­ A minimum of one year work experience in managerial, professional or technical positions (i.e. at level O, A or B under the National Occupational Classification/NOC system) will be necessary to apply to stay permanently through the Canadian Experience Class.


➢Must have studied full-time for the 8 months preceding the completion of their program of studies and have graduated from a degree-granting institution;

➢Must apply within 90 days of receiving written confirmation that they have met the requirements of the academic program;

➢Must have completed and passed the program of study & received notification that they are eligible to obtain their degree, diploma or certificate;

➢Must have a valid study permit when they apply for the work permit.

•If the program of study is less than 2 years but at least 8 months, the validity of the work permit will not be longer than the period of study. •Available only once • •For graduates of a 2-yr program (or longer), eligible for full 3-year Open Post-Grad Work Permit.

Work Permits for Spouses

  Spouses/Common-law (including same-sex) Partners of persons on Study and Work Permits may qualify to obtain OPEN Work Permits

Spouses may obtain work permits for employment in the general labour market as long as:  §The foreign student is the holder of a study permit & attending a full-time post-secondary degree or diploma granting institution; or       •After graduation, the foreign student has a valid work permit valid for at least 6 months for a qualifying job •May work in general labour market. Positions in medical or childcare require medical examination.

Need Help?


Fill form below to know more about the PGWP application process or for assistance in preparing an application.